Saturday, April 22, 2006

Though I'm Young And Cynical, It's Not My Only Crime...

I feel comfortable in the dark.

Sure, darkness has it's discrepancies. Many people are afraid of the dark because it contains surprises, cloaks things. But I feel secure, because I know that I'm one of the things it contains, that it cloaks. I suppose it's not so much the hiding aspect, but the fact that I'm not as visible...meaning that I'm less likely to be seen, and therefore judged accordingly. Darkness impairs visual sense, and perhaps that's what we need...to have our sight hindered, ergo we won't rely on it as much.

A myriad of things happen in the midst of darkness. The best way to realise them is to listen. The creak of a staircase. A muffled moan. The death rattle of a paint can emptying its contents. The fluttering of a newspaper. A crunch of feet on gravel. Powerful images...brought on by your auditory sense. You won't see them, but you know they are taking place. Right infront of your ears.

There is something uniquely essential about darkness. It provides us with a time of peace, if you let it. The world is gone, and all that is left is your thoughts. Concentration and the organisation of emotions becomes your sole purpose and you ar the taskmaster. Subsuming the darkness is quite an experience. Wrapping yourself in the blanket and basking in the apathetic anonymity...there's nothing quite like it. The sun recedes and everything is coloured in shades of grey. Don't get the wrong idea. The lack of light isn't an absensce of romance. The dark is extremely sensual.
The hairs on the back of your neck go haywire, you become overtly sensitive, and yet your motions lack grace and fluidity. Adrenaline is running, but not being put to productive use. The creation of graffiti happens after the sun goes down. The by-products of graffiti (web sites, magazines, videos, etc.) can never re-create the pure action and intent. After all, when the sun comes up, graffiti is beyond documentation.

(C) 2006 Sean Slater (Thanks StockCap!) All Rights Reserved, All Wrongs Justified.

1 Comments:

At 4:42 p.m., Blogger SEASE said...

The next time you see graffiti...which will probably be after my visit this summer...try and see what was going on through my head, what I was feeling, and anything else about ME. Can you tell if I was angry? Amused? Depressed? Sometimes, but very often...you can't. That's what I meant. If you got away from your shallow mentality and gave up the materialistic side, you might understand...however, I don't hold any high hopes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home