Friday, June 09, 2006

Imagine Whirled Peas!

"People who believe in a better way of life know that the way we live now is criminal. Denial of freedoms, death by starvation and exploitation, denigration of people's capabilities everywhere. If you see that these outcomes are socially produced, then you understand that every person who dies as a result was effectively murdered. Once you accept the possibility of attaining a humanist alternative, you have to be a terrible hypocrite, coward or cynic to live passively with the contrast between what is and what could be." - Noam Chomsky, "Problems Of Knowledge And Freedom" (1971)

It amazes me...that someone as influential and high-up as Noam Chomsky has been saying this for over thirty years, and few people have yet to actually listen to him. If you choose to look at the situation of the human condition from such an extreme perspective, then yes...by all means it is criminal and the deaths caused by this unfortunate fact could be considered homocides.

However, the point I most definately agree with from this small snippet is his statement that very few people can willingly choose to simply let it be when they know the facts. The mind tries to ignore the negative, but it doesn't always work and so it always resurfaces. People hear things that happen, like the Marines that slayed the 24 Civilians in Iraq for no good reason, and it hits them hard. It makes them think and hopefully they will care, for if someone cares they generally will act. Not many people have a mind robust enough that the dirty, painful truth won't bother them. It takes a major malfunction to brush things like needless death, inescapable pain, and other attrocities.

I may be a cynic more often than not(That's why Mr. "Teacher" is leaving, methinks...), but it's not to the point where I can't see things for how they are. In fact, at time I wonder if my cynicism aids me to see through the happy-go-lucky facade that North American society tries to put up over my eyes. It's nearly impossible for me to ignore the problems of the world, considering I try to help anyone I can...and if there's one thing I can do to help it's to inform people. That's why I have this Blog, aside from the ability to type up my homework for Psychology (i.e. This little composition here), but I can also show people the truth.

(C) 2006 Sean Slater (Thank You Mr. Maroney and Mr. Chomsky) All Rights Reserved, All Wrongs Justified. SEASE1 Productions.

1 Comments:

At 9:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

the marines in iraq were wrong for killing those civilians but i heard they killed them when an ied killed their buddy first. i still think it was wrong but revenge makes ppl do stupid and bad things...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home