Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Dynamic Revolution

It appears that I've recently taken an interest in the idea of parenting. Not that I plan on having children anytime soon, but it is an interesting concept for me. I've never experienced anything like it...I don't think there is anything that you can honestly compare it to.
I want to ask you a question. What makes a good parent? I don't plan to answer this question myself...I couldn't possibly answer it truthfully at this point in time. Take a look at your own parents. Look at their successes and failures... What were your their "styles" as it were? Did they reign you in and try to control you and influence you? Did they decided that you could take care of yourself, and hope that you'd come to them when they could be of help? Did they seem completely apathetic about you? What?

Ask yourself what you would do...how you would handle the situation.
Raising a child is the hardest thing there is to do. If you worry about your problems now...wait until you have children of your own. High-School will seem like tying your shoes when compared to trying to teach a child to tie their own. All your pubescent problems will be nothing in the wake of helping your own child with his or her relationship troubles. Who knows where I'm going with this...Perhaps I'll figure it out some day.

(C) 2006 Sean Slater (Thanks Maroney!) All Rights Reserved, All Wrongs Justified.

5 Comments:

At 9:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm...just trying to imagine what your kids would be like, should you ahve some. they'd either be the most straight laced, dull children ever(rebelliing from individuality...scary...), or some of the most amazingly cool, interesting, well informed people ever. now i'm curious...which one would it be? :)

 
At 6:06 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good parent nurtures and supports.

 
At 9:54 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny, I have been thinking about that lately. It started when I read Utopia, and then started formulating my own perfect gov.: An Anarchy in which the people take Plebiscites on issues rather than have a leader. But for that to work, people would have to be nice to one another. And the personality of a person is almost completly based on how they are raised.

Well, it has been shown that both styles work. Lets take two people for example: Rachael S. and Sean B.S. Both have, to this point turned out alright, but have parents with very different styles. Sean's parents are more hands-off where are Rachael's are more heavy-handed. Sean is more rebelious and Rachael is more 'straight laced.' Yet, both ways are effective.

From my view, the best way to raise a child would be to be hands-off and guide them using guilt and instiling a sence of responsibility.

Sean's kids would be weird. Just, plain weird. What would they have to rebel against? "But dad, I don't want to learn how to snowboard!"

Dear anonymous: Thank you for your revolutionary insight into the science of parenthood.

 
At 1:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

 
At 1:56 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home